Alcoholism is a very serious medical disease and the worst part is that the signs and symptoms of the disease vary depending on the amount and frequency of consumption. The disease is dangerous both physically and financially. Alcoholism leads to deterioration of mental health too. Timely treatment is the only way out to fight with the disease. In this article, we are going to highlight about the most important points about the disease that would help you to understand it better. It is always said that for fighting with the disease, you need to understand it better first.
First of all, let us understand the signs of alcohol consumption. By understanding the signs of the disease, you can handle the situation only when you are aware of the symptoms. The physical signs of alcohol overconsumption and intoxication are recognizable by most adults; few very common signs are mentioned here.
Slurred or Incoherent Speech: This first sign is definitely commonly seen in the one who is suffering from the disease. If a person is suffering from the same then one can find that he is facing problem in speaking or his speech is not clear.
Poor Balance and Clumsiness: In the alcoholism dependence syndrome the person is unable to make the body balance and suffers from clumsiness from all the time.
Delayed Reflexes: The delayed reflexes in body are also signs of alcoholism in body. It is something that is an uncontrolled action, even if a person wishes to response but due to the poor mental condition he cannot.
Stomach Pains, Vomiting or Nausea: Considering the strong health signs then stomach pains, feeling of nausea and vomiting are also the strongest symptoms of alcoholism.
Loss of Consciousness or Blacking-Out: A person who is suffering from alcoholism suffers from memory loss and along with this there is a loss of consciousness too.
Redness of the Face during or after Periods of Consumption: This is a sign that may or may not appear in the person who is suffering from the disease. In some cases, redness on the face may occur when the person is consuming alcohol.
Alcohol poisoning is a life threatening disease. The extent of consumption of alcohol can lead to extreme deterioration of health. The respiratory system becomes depressed, and the person will stop breathing.
Signs of Alcohol Abuse
The progressive consumption of alcohol can lead to severe health conditions. Someone abusing alcohol makes drinking a central activity of her life, displacing healthy activity and relationships, and resulting in negative consequences. Alcohol abusers often maintain some capacity to recognize situations that lead to over-consumption, and to regulate their alcohol intake. Signs of alcohol abuse include:
- Loss of control over amount consumed once they begin drinking
- Regular inattention to family and professional obligations
- Dangerous behaviors that carry risk of legal, financial or health consequences for themselves and others
- Increase in expressions of anger or other emotions, especially in inappropriate settings
- Insomnia, which may be followed by oversleeping
Signs of Alcohol Dependence (Alcoholism)
Untreated alcohol abuse can progress to an addiction to alcohol characterized by physical dependency and/or inability to stop despite serious consequences. The worst part about alcohol consumption is that, once a person starts to consume alcohol then hardly he can stop over the same. Alcohol dependence indicates that the user has made obtaining and consuming alcohol a predominant focus of her life. We are here mentioning the signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence that definitely signifies a very serious mental health condition.
- Significant hangovers, and increase in time needed to recover from after-effects of alcohol use is a very strong sign of alcohol dependence.
- Acknowledgement of side effects of medical complications from alcoholism
- Repeated unsuccessful efforts to reduce alcohol consumption. Even when a person tries so hard and he is unable to leave the habit then it is also termed as alcohol dependence.
- Withdrawal symptoms when unable to consume alcohol
- Increased amount of alcohol consumed because of increased tolerance; or, decrease in the effects of alcohol use without substantial increases in the amount consumed
- Reduced attention to personal and professional responsibilities also suggests that the person is under the influence of alcohol which is restricting him to show attention towards the responsibilities.
Alcohol dependence is really a very serious concern. It is required that one should treat the disease on-time to lead a happy life. Consulting an experienced doctor can help the way. Dr. Shashi Bhushan is the best doctor for alcoholism dependence treatment in Delhi. You can book an appointment with him and get rid of the disease at the earliest.